NS ARCHIVES - [email protected]

Why do we have an archives?
In order to make sure that the Guiding story is part of the whole story of Nova Scotia.
It tells the story of what we did in earlier times.

Where is the Archives?
Girl Guide House at 3581 Dutch Village Road in Halifax (902)423-3735

When is the Archives open? How can we see what is there?
If a group wishes to visit the archives we can open after hours and on weekends
BUT we need lots of warning so that we can prepare ahead of time.

How can the Archives help Guiders? With Lending kits.
There are great mementos of NS & Canadian Guiding that can be loaned to your unit - Contact us for more information or complete the loan form available at the link below.

With Loan of Uniforms
A great selection of uniforms from past decades are available- complete the Loan form available at the below link or contact us via email for more info. 


Archive Loan Form

How Can Guiders Help the Archives?
Send us Photographs, labeled using a post-it note, with event, date, names of participants.
Newspaper Clippings making sure to have the date and Newspaper name on the clipping.
Descriptions of special occasions, camp logs, company logs, other papers
which you feel will be of interest to people many years from now.
When making a donation please complete a Donation Form.



Hello Everyone!

Guide House was all a buzz as the Archive Committee
welcomed the1st Port Wallace Guide Unit for an afternoon of fun and games.
The girls were treated to an interactive display where members,
young and old, played and learned together.

The girls travelled through time and, under the guidance of Mary Sargeant
saw such items as: scrapbooks and pictures, uniforms worn in the past,
badges, pins, dolls, collectables and newspaper articles
all collected and preserved for today’s and tomorrow’s members to enjoy.

Joining Mary were other members of the Archive Committee:
Nicki Eisenhauer, Marion Faulkner, Madge Masson,
Vera Stone and Edith James who joined in the fun
and worked side by side to share their memories and experiences.
One leader said “The girls said they liked seeing the pictures
and having the person there to tell the history behind the pictures.
They also liked hearing about all the things the brownies had to learn
to get their badges (golden hand etc).
”The afternoon was topped off with a visit from the then
  Chief Commissioner, Myrtle Corkum.
Myrtle enjoyed speaking with each of the girls
who were very pleased
to receive one of her patches.
After a light snack the girls participated in a very lively game of semaphore,
lead by Mary. As the girls were leaving a couple were heard telling their parents
that they had an “awesome” time.

It was a good day!



Highlights in NS Guiding History

The Company struggled for a year or two, the young lieutenant got married,
no replacement was found and the company disbanded.

A number of Companies were formed but most disbanded
and rose again when interest returned.

1913 Canso has a Guide Company.

Yarmouth has both a Guide Company and a Brownie Pack.

1917 Sydney has the first Camp under canvas.

1st Halifax Co. Trinity Church registered under leadership of Melda Walters.
Miss Mary Ritchie opens Company in Bedford.

Company opened in Bridgewater and Edgehill School for Girls forms 2nd Windsor Company.

1922 Nova Scotia Council is in-corporated.

1st Halifax Ranger Company formed 1st Sea Guides Company formed in Halifax.

Viscount and Lady Allenby visit Halifax and Guides and Scouts form Guard of Honour.

Halifax District holds its first camp for Guides from Halifax, Bedford, Dartmouth,Woodside
and Imperoyal at Burnside, Bedford Basin, August 5-12th.
Truro has first Company of Ranger Guides.
--Miss Marjorie Haley, Mrs. Mary Harry, Laura Marshall and a Guide from Wolfville
   attend Dominion Jubilee Camp in Victoria, BC.

1928 First large congregation of Guides and Brownies held
         with a Tea and Entertainment at Masonic Hall. 150 girls took part.

First Provincial Camp held at the YMCA site in Hubbards Mrs. Schenk camp commandant,
the girls each paid $3.00 Guiders paid $4.00, nearly 100 camped under canvas. 
Provincial Normal School in Truro became the training center for leadership in Girl Guides.

A $200.00 Grant was received from the Province of Nova Scotia.
Dartmouth has enough girls to form a district, with Vivian Dorey as District Commissioner.

-- Provincial Lone Guide Company formed.
-- Provincial office opened at 37 Sackville Street with Miss Owen Willaims as paid secretary.

First provincial Patrol Leaders Camp held at French Village on the property of Miss Marjorie Gates 
49 Guides and 13 Guiders attended. "Four heavy rain storms and a succession of gray days 
were unable to dampen the spirits of the jolly company".  
--First company of Canadian Girl Guides to be organized in a convent was 15th Halifax.

IODE began to sponsor Packs and Companies.
--Roberta, Countess of Bessborough presented to each Province a challenge shield
   "to be used an incentive to the development of what ever phase of Guiding the provincial council
    may decide would be most helpful to the movement". 
--First pack of Black Brownies registered as 2nd New Glasgow.

At this time there are 1520 girls in 74 companies, 11 commissioners and 17 local associations. 
The Guide Cabin in Bridgewater becomes a reality.

1936 First year that the rule to have a licensed camper on site is enforced.

Provincial office moves to 215 Hollis Street.
--An Oak sapling is received from Windsor great Park and planted in the Halifax Public Gardens.

Provincial Minutes record that 1st Halifax Ranger Co. cleaned and painted the provincial office.

1939 Cumberland Division takes part in Honour Guard for Royal Visit.

Bessborough Shield becomes known as Bessborough Shield and War Effort Project.
-- Guides involved in War effort.

1944 Mrs. Schenk becomes Provincial Commissioner.

Marjorie Gates becomes Provincial Commissioner of Training.
-- Rose Goodman Camp presented to Pictou Guides in her memory.
-- Lady BP visits Nova Scotia.

1947 First camp training for Guiders held at Rose Goodman Camp.

Ann Lowe attended Edith Macy Camp on Juliette Low Scholarship.
-- Mrs. L.E. Eaton attended International Camp at Cooperstown, NY.
-- Registration fee was raised to .25 for each girl, up from the previous fee
    of .05 for Brownies and .10 and .15 for Guides and Rangers respectively.

1949 Provincial Paper started called first "The Question Mark", eventually became "The Seagull".

1951 Princess Elizabeth and Prince Phillip visit Nova Scotia and 50 Guides form Honour Guard.

1952 41 Guides and 7 Rangers, 12 Leaders attend National Camp on Connaught Ranges, Ottawa.

Throughout Colchester Camping and Marie Eaton were inseparable.
-- A Brown Owl in the Amherst Pack suggests to National Office
    that a calendar similar to those sold by Boy Scouts of America be sold as a fund raiser.

1954 Heather MacLean and Joy Calkin attend International Tent Camp in Toronto.

Work begins on the Hardwood Lake Campsite.
-- Lone Guide Helen Kidd receives Commonwealth Prize.

1956 First camp at Hardwood Lake, Mrs. Chase as Camp Commandant.

28 Girls represent Nova Scotia at World Camp, Doe Lake, and Ontario.
-- Province donates $2250.00 to World Camp Fund in memory of BP.
-- 4 girls attend World Camp at Windsor Great Park.
-- Lewis Lake Campsite is developed.

4 girls represent Nova Scotia art Atlantic Adventure Camp.
-- 4 girls attend Senior Girl Scout Roundup in Colorado Springs.

National Jubilee Camp held at Hardwood Lake with representatives from every province.
-- Lady BP visits province.
-- Queen and Prince Phillip visit province.

Lady BP again visits province and rallies are held in Lunenburg and Stadacona.
-- Mrs. K Frittenburg becomes first N.S. Guider to earn Maple Leaf pin.

1962 Boathouse given to Hardwood Lake Camp by Mr. Don Chase.

Mrs. Robert L. Stanfield opens the new Provincial office at 139 Granville Street (later 1871 Granville).


8/23/2019 1:39:24 PM